Photo News: Fire Gutted UNILAG Female Hostel

Filed in EDUCATION NEWS by on October 13, 2014 0 Comments

The whole Madam Tinubu hall of the University of Lagos was a perfect pandemonium following a fire outbreak that occurred in the female hostel of the University of Lagos (UNILAG).


The fire as gathered by grapevine was said to have started at room A012 on the ground floor around 4am Sunday morning.

No life was lost before the fire was put off. However, three students were injured when they attempted to jump from their windows to escape the fire. grapevine learnt that the fire started from an electrical cooker in one of the rooms in the hall.

The room where the fire started was razed completely, while three others suffered less disaster.

A resident of the hall, Seun Ajayi, who spoke to our correspondent, noted that male students from the nearby Sodeinde Hall came to the aid of the girls before men of the fire service came.

Following the inability of the fire service to arrive on time and lack of water in the hostel prompted the students to use pure water to put off fire.

Recounting the incident, she said the fire lasted for about 20 minutes before it was put out.

She said, “The fire started when one student was cooking and the hot plate caught fire. There were people who wanted to come out through the back of the hostel but since it was locked, people were jumping from the second floor. Even asthmatic patients were badly affected.”

Confirming the incident, the Assistant Registrar/Media Relations Officer of the university, Mr. Kingrobert Emukpoeruo, said the three students who were injured were taken to the Medical Centre of the university and had been released.

Although residents in the hall said those that were injured were taken to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital and the National Orthopaedic Hospital, Igbobi due to the severity of their conditions, the Deputy Registrar maintained that they had been discharged from the medical centre of the institution.

He, however, confirmed that it was students and not the firemen who put out the fire.

“Three students were injured in the accident and they were released after they were taken to the Medical Centre of the Akoka campus for precautionary treatment,” he said.

Water scarcity,unstable electricity, uncoducive environment etc are few outta the problems students are facing in our various universities hostels.

Stay updated with all Nigeria University news, Polytechnic news, Post-Utme and more;
Join/Like Us now on Facebook and Twitter

Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share buttons below…




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *