Federal University, Oye Ekiti Dismiss 10 Workers

Filed in FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OYE-EKITI by on February 13, 2015 0 Comments

Authorities of the Federal University, Oye Ekiti, in Ekiti State have dismiss 10 workers of the institution over their involvement in the December 18 last year strike.

It would be recalled that Workers of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti had on December 18, 2014, taken to the streets to protest alleged “outrageous tax deductions, halt in National Housing Fund deduction, confirmation of staff appointments,” among others and had described the action as illegal.

They also accused the VC of non-payment of allowances and non-remittance of taxes deducted from their salaries to the appropriate quarters.

Following the dismissal of 10 workers by the management of the institution, Workers of Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, have gone on rampage to protest the sack of 10 of their colleagues.

Liveschoolnews.com.ng grapevine gathered that the protesting workers took to the streets on Thursday and shut down the institution, just as they interrupt commercial activities in the town.

The workers, who were said to have started the protest at about 7.00a.m, blocked the road leading to the university from the town and made bonfires.

The angry workers, who locked offices and prevented lecturers from attending to students, said the Vice Chancellor, Professor Isaac Asuzu, must rescind the sack.

However, security agents dispersed the protesters, who had earlier closed the main gate of the university and some other offices.

Leaders of the protest, Mr. Foluso Ojo and Miss Obadore Kemisola, who were executive officers in the university, contended that the management erred in sacking them for leading a protest to demand their rights.

Ojo said what they demanded from the management were confirmation of workers’ appointments, promotion of staff and putting a stop to the deduction on the National Housing Fund, among other issues.

Ojo urge the management to do everything within their meager to rescind the decision for normalcy to return.

But in reaction, Asuzu said the university took the action, as recommended by Prof. R.A. Omoleyin-led panel, to prevent a few individuals from destabilising the institution.

He said, “No responsible leader will fold his arms and allow few individuals to hold the school to ransom. This is an academic environment, where people should display high sense of modesty and intellectualism rather than thuggery and brigandage.

“They are not supposed to protest at all because their appointments have not been confirmed.”

Stay updated with all Nigeria University news, Polytechnic news, Post-Utme, Jamb Results and more; Join/Like Us now on Facebook and Twitter

Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share buttons below….



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *