Many have been wondering why the authorities of Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka (UNIZIK) are yet to release the institution’s secondary regular admission list for the 2014/2015 academic session. For the interest of better clarification and understanding, we found it necessary to enlighten the aspirants on some basic issues concerning the secondary admission list of the university. Aspirants should therefore take note of the following:
1. The university authorities cannot release any admission list without necessary approval by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB). Therefore, for the secondary admission lists to be released, JAMB must give it’s approval for that. This also means that if JAMB fails to approve the lists, the university will have no option than to amend or suspend releasing them.
2. If you scored below 40% in your 2014/2015 Post-UTME regardless of your UTME score, better stop waiting for a non-existing miracle and proceed to the bank to purchase either 2015 JAMB UTME form, UNIZIK Diploma or Pre-Science forms.
3. All candidates that merited their admissions have been admitted. The few lucky remaining candidates will be admitted in line with either the principles of catchment, or Education Less Developed States (ELDS). By catchment, I mean candidates from any of the states of Mainly South-East geopolitical zone like Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Ebonyi, or Abia who failed to meet the ‘Merit’ requirements for admission. Also by principle of ELDS, I mean candidates from education disadvantaged states like Ebonyi, Bayelsa, Borno, Zamfara, Adamawa, and some other northern states who failed to meet the ‘Merit’ requirements for admission. Jamb admissions policy provided that candidates on catchment and those from ELDS states should be offered admission in order to create an equal education opportunity across Nigeria. So secondary admission lists are mainly done based on these principles highlighted above. However, candidates that scored below 40% in post utme are out of the game and should better follow the advise on the Number 2 above.
4. Apart from the principles highlighted in the Number 3, other lists that are contained in the secondary admission are those of Direct Entry and Pre-Science candidates. Also note that the number of qualified direct entry and Pre-Science candidates are considered before the implementation of catchment and ELDS principles. This means that if the admission quota given to the university is filled up after admitting Direct Entry or Pre-Science candidates, the university will have to amend the standard it set for Pre-Science admissions or may have a rethink towards the implementation of the catchment or ELDS principles.
5. The university cannot admit more that the quota given to it by Jamb. Therefore, the secondary admission list will contain the names of FEW lucky candidates as majority have been since offered admission on the primary (Merit) admission list.
6. Stop stressing your selves to know when the lists will be released. As soon as all needful guidelines have been fulfilled, the university will release the list and we are ever ready to notify you whenever that happens through this medium.
Chukwuemerie Uduchukwu, UNIZIK Facebook Page Editor reporting……..
Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share button below…