Ebola: Rivers Schools May Not Resume On Sept 22’

Filed in EDUCATION NEWS by on September 11, 2014 0 Comments

The Rivers State government said it was yet to take a position on the recent directive by the federal government that schools across the country should resume on September 22.

The State government said it will not be in hurry to reopen private and public primary and secondary schools amid the fight against the Ebola virus disease.

The Commissioner of Health, Dr. Sampson Parker, told schoolwatch.com.ng grapevine that in view of the reservation expressed in some quarters about the feasibility of reopening of schools while the state is still has some 510 persons under its watch, will make it imperative for the government to review the situation and determine when it will most likely reopen schools.

“we cannot make a statement on this yet.we are in the middle of the battle. We have a lot to conquer. As the date gets closer, we will review the situation. The 22 September date announced by the federal government is for certain the date for resumption .

However, every state will have to look at its circumstance and decide to go by that date or ask for more days” he said.

Parker explained that in the case of Rivers state which presently has some persons under surveillance, it will not be properly to hurriedly reopen schools until the state government is sure that there is not further threat of the dreaded disease.

He said the State’s Ministry of Education will soon hold a meeting with owners of private schools and heads of public schools to review the situation. Afterwards, representatives of the teachers and public schools owners will then meet with the Ministry of Health to determine and agree on a likely date of resumption.

“This week and next week is our highlight points. By next week, it will be clearer for us to know if we have successfully contained the disease. Currently, there is no Ebola patient in Rivers state.

And so far, this week is going well for us in the state. Once we pass this week and next week, we will then be in a position to confidently announce the resumption date of our schools” he said.

The Commissioner warned people to desist from burying another without due certification from health officials in all the twenty three local government areas. He noted that the era when people burying corpses without notifying the government was over. He cautioned that anyone caught violating this directive risk jail sentence.

Stay updated with all Nigeria University news, Polytechnic news, Post-Utme and more; Join/Like Us now on Facebook and Twitter

Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share buttons below…




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *