Apply For UNIBEN Admission into PG Programmes For Legislative Studies And Parliamentary Administration
The University of Benin, in affiliation with the National Institute for Legislative Studies (NILS), Abuja, offer postgraduate programmes leading to the award of postgraduate diplomas and master’s degrees in Legislative Studies, Legislative Drafting, and Parliamentary Administration.
NILS is the capacity building organ of the National Assembly; it was established by an Act of Parliament. It works to support and strengthen the legislature in the pursuit of the ideals of democracy through research, training, legislative support, advocacy and networking.
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into the legislative postgraduate programmes of the University of Benin/National Institute for Legislative Studies. The University of Benin awards the degrees and diplomas while programmes are run at the facilities of the National Institute for Legislative Studies in Abuja by academic staff of the two institutions and renowned practitioners in the democratic and legislative process.
A. THE POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES OFFERED
I. Master’s in Legislative Studies
Ii Master’s in Legislative Drafting
Iii Master’s in Parliamentary Administration
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
a. Postgraduate Diploma in Legislative Studies
b. Postgraduate Diploma in Legislative Drafting.
c. Postgraduate Diploma in Parliamentary Administration
The general objectives of the postgraduate programmes are two-fold:
i. To equip legislators and legislative staff at all tiers of government with the
Knowledge and skills required for improved performance of their various functions; and
ii. To provide opportunities for members of the public who are interested in the practices and procedures of the legislature to familiarize themselves with the operating procedures and processes of this branch of government.
The programmes are available on both full-time and part-time basis. Lectures for the part-time programmes are delivered at weekends in Abuja, while lectures for the Full Time Programmes are delivered on week days, also in Abuja.
Duration of Programmes
1. The duration of the master’s degree programme is a minimum period of four (4) semesters and a maximum period of six (6) semesters for Full-Time candidates.
2. The duration of Part-time master’s programme is a minimum period of six (6) semesters, and a maximum period of eight (8) semesters.
3. The duration of the Full-Time postgraduate diploma programme is a minimum period of two (2) semesters, and a maximum period of four (4) semesters.
4. The duration of the Part-Time postgraduate diploma programme is a minimum period of four (4) semesters, and a maximum period of six (6) semesters.
Programme Delivery Approach
All the postgraduate programmes are delivered through a series of lectures, continuous assessment, course examinations and research project (for postgraduate diploma) and dissertation (for master’s degree).
B. ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible for admission into the Master’s Degree Programme, a prospective candidate must:
· Be a holder of a Bachelor’s degree, with a minimum of Second Class Lower Division in a relevant area from a recognized university, or a Postgraduate Diploma in a relevant area from a recognized institution with at least 60% CGPA;
· Have the matriculation requirements of five (5) credit passes at the Ordinary Level, including English Language and Mathematics.
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes are available to:
· Holders of the Bachelor’s degree, not below 3rd Class Division in relevant areas, obtained from a recognized university;
· Or a Higher National Diploma (HND), Upper Credit from a recognized institution;
· Or relevant professional qualifications;
· Plus the minimum matriculation requirements of five (5) credit passes at the
Ordinary Level, including English Language and Mathematics.
F. METHOD OF APPLICATION
* Candidates should visit the uniben.waeup.org website
and click on the APPLICATION link
* Click on the SUPPLEMENTARY POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES 2013/2014
* Click on REGISTER FOR APPLICATION after reading instructions on the page
Follow the relevant steps outlined.
Payment is via the interswitch platform which uses any valid ATM or CASHCARD for any commercial bank in Nigeria.
– Any application form not properly filled by the closing date will not be treated.
– APPLICATION FEE is N11,500.00 (Eleven thousand and five hundred naira) ONLY
– Closing date is Monday, 10th February, 2014.
Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share buttons below…